On Monday my iMac arrived. I have only this to say about it:
It’s a bit good. If you’re already a Mac user, you will know this. If you aren’t a Mac user, you really really should be.
Highlights so far:
- Exposé: it’s slick, it’s smooth, it’s gorgeous.
- Bluetooth support: Bluetooth keyboard is effortless to set up and use; Bluetooth mouse is effortless to set up and use (but does seem to have trouble with my shiny-ish desk surface); Bluetooth connection to my phone is effortless to set up and use. Now I just need an iSync-compatible phone and I’m sorted.
- Quicksilver: it’s like the Run dialog on crack.
- Adium: a very, very nice instant messaging app.
- A fairly insane number and variety of keyboard shortcuts, especially useful when combined with pretty comprehensive Unicode support. Quite how well this interoperates with Windows systems I’m not sure, but I’ve occasionally inserted an ellipsis (…) into an instant messaging chat window only to have it misrendered at the other end.
All in all, the computer and its OS are things of beauty. Wub ’em lots 😀